NEW YORK (AP) – A design for a temporary memorial to the six victims killed in the 1993 World Trade Center bombing will include a piece of the original memorial destroyed in the Sept. 11 attacks, authorities said.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey received final approval for the design last week from the victims’ family members, agency spokesman Steve Coleman said Tuesday.

The design for the 9½-foot, stainless-steel pylon is meant to evoke the trade center towers, and will stand in front of a family viewing area in the southwest corner of the site, Coleman said.

Inside the memorial, a triangular wedge will house a piece of granite bearing the name “John D” – part of the name of victim John DiGiovanni. The fragment was the only remaining piece of the original memorial that was found.

The piece can be removed for commemorative occasions.

, and will include a new inscription with a dedication to the victims of the Feb. 26, 1993, bombing of the trade center. More than 1,000 people also were injured when a van exploded in an underground parking garage.

The $30,000 design by senior Port Authority architect Jacqueline Hanley, in conjunction with the Pentagram studio, will be built in the next six months. It will only exist until the permanent memorial for victims of the 2001 and 1993 trade center attacks is built.

Last month, a memorial design honoring the victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks was chosen. It features lush greenery and park plazas around sunken reflecting pools that mark the collapsed towers’ footprints and includes a list of victims’ names.

AP-ES-03-16-04 1428EST



Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.