2 min read

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) – Pedro Martinez says he hasn’t lost his fastball – and the radar gun shows he’s right.

Making his second-to-last spring training start, the Red Sox ace gave up three runs and seven hits in five innings of Boston’s 12-7 loss to the Minnesota Twins on Thursday.

“It wasn’t as good as I’d like it to be,” Martinez said. “I gave up a couple of runs on a few bad pitches there in the last inning. But overall my command was good and everything was fine.”

He also laughed at reports that he was yet to top 90 mph with his fastball in spring training.

Martinez’s heater topped out at 93 mph against the Twins, and he threw three consecutive 91 mph fastballs to former Red Sox infielder Jose Offerman to end a Minnesota threat in the fourth inning.

“I haven’t lost my fastball. Ninety, 91, now that’s a good fastball,” Martinez said. “And if anyone wants to test it, go ahead. Let the scouts stand there with a bat and I’ll give them a 91.”

Martinez said he was more concerned with location and command of some of his breaking balls.

“I just wanted to regain some of the control of my pitches,” said Martinez, who walked six in eight innings before Thursday. “So far, I’ve been a little bit erratic. I was trying to hit the spots and there were a couple of pitches that were there, but overall it was good.”

Red Sox manager Terry Francona was pleased to see Martinez reach back for a few fastballs when needed them.

“I liked that he got a little bit competitive out there,” Francona said. “He kind of revved it up a notch or two.”

Minnesota starter Brad Thomas, fighting for the fifth spot in the rotation, gave up one run and five hits in three innings.

Thomas is competing with Sean Douglass, Joe Roa and Seth Greisinger for the final starting spot after Rick Helling went down with a broken right leg.

Douglass gave up four runs in one inning, including a solo homer to David McCarty. It was McCarty’s sixth of the spring, tying him for the team lead with David Ortiz.

Notes: Martinez wasn’t talking about whether he’s close to signing a contract extension with the Red Sox. He’s not worried about negotiations being a distraction. “I’m an old goat. I think I can handle that.”

he said. “I’m just going to concentrate on what I’m doing. Just go quote my agent. He’ll deal with the stress and I’ll do the pitching.”

Comments are no longer available on this story