BANGOR (AP) – A 50-year prison sentence for a man who emptied his bank account and partied after fatally stabbing his pregnant wife did little to console the victim’s family and friends.

Relatives of Heather Fliegelman Sargent urged the judge to make sure Roscoe Sargent, 30, never gets out of prison. One of them cursed and lunged at Sargent before being pulled from the courtroom.

In Penobscot County Superior Court, Justice E. Allen Hunter said the impact of the crime on family and friends was “staggering” but said state guidelines did not allow a life sentence for the crime.

“The victim impact is profound and enduring,” he said. “The loss of Heather and her child is a deep and lasting wound. That has been clearly displayed today. The victim impact in this case is simply staggering.”

After Friday’s sentencing, the victim’s aunt wept as she looked skyward and announced she was moving out of state.

“You win, Ross,” said Kristen Eckmann, 28, of Bangor, referring to the man convicted of killing her niece.

Sargent stabbed his wife 47 times using at least two different knives. The 20-year-old woman was eight months pregnant with her first child. Police found her body and four dead cats on Monday, Jan. 6, 2003.

That same morning, Sargent turned himself in to federal authorities accompanied by a Bangor attorney appointed in 2001 to represent him on drug and gun possession charges in U.S. District Court in Bangor.

At his trial, investigators testified that after Sargent murdered his wife, he emptied out their bank account and partied in Bangor hotels before surrendering. Sargent was convicted during a jury-waived trial.

The victim’s father was not able to attend Friday’s sentencing because he suffered a stroke, but his statement was read in court.

“Jonah, my baby grandson, will not sit on my lap and I will not read books to him as I did to his mom,” wrote George Fliegelman, who urged the maximum sentence. “This was a senseless loss for all.”

Throughout the trial, Fliegelman Sargent’s family insisted that her unborn child was a second victim. Family members Friday showed autopsy photos of the boy, named Jonah, to Hunter and the media.

Last month, Sargent was sentenced to 10 years in federal prison on the drug and gun charges. He pleaded guilty to those charges in March after the murder trial ended but before the verdict was announced.

Hunter ordered that Sargent’s murder sentence run concurrently with his federal sentence. The defendant must complete the federal sentence before serving the murder sentence in Maine.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.