2 min read

WOODSTOCK – Selectmen voted unanimously Tuesday not to hold a special town meeting this month and instead put the two issues on the March annual meeting warrant.

The articles, which were to be decided Oct. 19, are considered to be too important to have a handful of voters decide them, they said. The annual meeting traditionally attracts a larger crowd.

The first article being put on the March warrant calls for a second vote on discontinuing a portion of Ricker Road.

Last March, voters approved it and turned it over to land owner Warren Hillquist. The article also included a clause stating the town would take the road back if asked by Hillquist or his heirs.

At Tuesday’s meeting, selectmen said they don’t support having to take back the road, and they think people did not clearly understand the article as written.

The second article asks for a property tax waiver to be granted to Tim and Francis Buck for a planned restaurant next to the Mollyockett Motel on Route 26 in South Woodstock.

Selectmen said they do not support this because it would set a precedent.

“I’d rather not see these issues go before 8 or 10 people. They need to go before the annual town meeting, where we will have a much larger turnout of voters,” board Chairman Steve Bies said.

In other business, Town Manager Vern Maxfield told the board that tax bills have gone out, and about $50,000 has been paid so far.

“We seem to be off to a good start,” Maxfield said, “and I expect they will come in good until mid-November, when the 2 percent discount period runs out. Then there will be a lull until the end of the year.”

Comments are no longer available on this story