NEW YORK (AP) – St. John’s imposed two years’ of penalties on its men’s basketball team Friday after an investigation revealed a former player was given cash by an athletic department employee.
The penalties, which include a postseason ban for 2004-05 and the loss of a scholarship this season and next, were imposed after an investigation into the charges earlier this year by former player Abe Keita.
Keita, one of six players suspended from the program last February over a curfew-breaking visit to a Pittsburgh-area strip club, made the charges of being paid a month later.
He said he was given $300 each month by a member of the basketball staff.
St. John’s launched an investigation immediately and said Friday it found evidence to support the claim, which violated the NCAA’s “extra-benefit” rules. The school said the violations involved only one player and that the inquiry involved no current players, coaches or other athletic staff.
The school said it believes the funds were provided with a humanitarian intent, but the payments were still judged to be inappropriate and unacceptable.
Keita, who was a senior last season, was recruited by former St. John’s coach Mike Jarvis, who was fired last December, six games into the 2003-04 season.
He was replaced by interim coach Kevin Clark and the Red Storm went on the worst season in school history with a 6-21 record, including 1-15 in the Big East.
Jarvis refused to directly comment on the penalties.
“I don’t work for them any more, I work for ESPN,” Jarvis said. “I really can’t respond.”
St. John’s hired former Kansas assistant Norm Roberts in April.
The NCAA is continuing its investigation into the matter and will decide if the self-imposed penalties are enough. St. John’s was picked to finish last in the Big East and was not likely to make the postseason this season.
Keita, a native of West Africa, said the payments began when he first arrived at St. John’s in 1999.
According to Big East rules, any school ineligible for NCAA postseason competition is not eligible to compete for a conference championship. All 12 Big East schools were scheduled to play in this year’s tournament at Madison Square Garden so the absence of St. John’s would require the tournament to be reconfigured.
Comments are no longer available on this story