NEW YORK – Baseball owners took another step toward moving the Montreal Expos to Washington next year, giving conditional approval Friday but hinging their decision on the September agreement that did not cap the cost of a new ballpark. Owners approved the move during a conference call by a 29-1 vote, with the Baltimore Orioles dissenting, a baseball official said on condition of anonymity. Approval was “subject to all conditions set forth in the Baseball Stadium Agreement” signed on Sept. 29 by the Expos and Washington Mayor Anthony A. Williams, major league baseball said in a statement. That agreement called for the District of Columbia government to enact by Dec. 31 funding for a new ballpark for the team, which would be renamed the Nationals.
Yankees send Lofton to Phillies for Rodriguez
NEW YORK – The New York Yankees began reshaping their roster, sending outfielder Kenny Lofton and more than $1.5 million to the Philadelphia Phillies for setup man Felix Rodriguez and also reacquiring Mike Stanton from the Mets.
Stunned by Boston in the AL championship series, the Yankees are expected to make bigger moves later in the offseason, with free-agent center fielder Carlos Beltran and Arizona ace Randy Johnson figuring to be their top targets. The Yankees got Stanton and $975,000 from the Mets for Felix Heredia in a swap of left-handed relievers. Stanton waived his no-trade clause to rejoin his former team.
Pavano visits Tigers
DETROIT – Carl Pavano met Al Kaline, worked out at Comerica Park and went to the Oakland Hills Country Club on Friday, part of the Detroit Tigers’ effort to recruit the free-agent righty.
Pavano, 18-8 with a 3.00 ERA last season for Florida, left Friday for New York, where he was to spend the weekend with Yankees officials.
Pavano’s agent, Scott Shapiro, said talks with the Tigers will continue.
“Detroit was fantastic,” Shapiro said. “You couldn’t ask for a more accommodating host. They made everyone we wanted to talk to available.”
Shapiro said Pavano had a chance to work out in the Tigers’ training room and spend time with Kaline, the Tigers Hall of Famer who is a team special assistant. Kaline showed Pavano around town and took him to Oakland Hills, the suburban golf course where this year’s Ryder Cup was held.
If Pavano decides to sign with Detroit, he would join closer Troy Percival as major offseason signings.
“There’s a lot of positive energy in the organization,” Shapiro said. “You can get a sense Detroit is really building something special there.”
Percival agreed on Nov. 17 to a $12 million, two-year contract with the Tigers. The 35-year-old was 2-3 with a 2.90 ERA and 33 saves last season with Anaheim.
Ivan Rodriguez, Pavano’s catcher with the Florida championship team, signed with Detroit last year.
Pavano, 28, has a 57-58 record in seven years with the Expos and Marlins. He previously met with Boston, and also plans to visit Baltimore, Seattle and Anaheim.
AP-ES-12-03-04 1943EST
Comments are no longer available on this story