2 min read

PITTSFIELD (AP) – A 14-year-old eighth-grader was charged with terrorizing and suspended from school for allegedly saying that he wished the building would blow up, officials said.

The boy made the threat on the school bus as it carried pupils home at the end of the school day Wednesday, said Arnold Shorey, Warsaw Middle School principal, adding that the boy also threatened two staff members.

Another pupil told his parents about the statement, and they notified police late Wednesday night. The boy who allegedly made the threat and witnesses were interviewed Thursday at the Pittsfield police station before the boy was charged.

“We take all threats seriously,” Shorey said.

Pittsfield Police Chief Stephen Emery said parents of the involved pupils were cooperative but frightened.

“Some of them wanted the child arrested immediately and put in jail,” Emery said. “Others said they were afraid to send their kids to school.”

SAD 53 administrators sent a letter home to parents Thursday outlining the situation. SAD 53 covers Pittsfield, Burnham and Detroit.

“At no time was there a direct threat that would lead anyone to think that the buildings were unsafe or children were in danger,” the letter said. “The parents and student are cooperating and it appears that it was a careless comment.”

The letter also made reference to the fatal school shootings in Red Lake, Minn., last week.

“In light of recent events, this situation is very serious. We would solicit your help in explaining to your children that it is very dangerous to make any type of threats, even in jest. Together we will continue to work on making our schools the safest possible.”

The pupil involved has been suspended indefinitely and will be provided with home tutoring.

A hearing on his suspension will be held in 10 days.

Emery said the terrorizing summons will be turned over to the Somerset County District Attorney’s office where the decision will be made whether to prosecute.

Comments are no longer available on this story