MINOT – Selectmen have a tentative agreement to meet with a representative of Adelphia Communications, the town’s cable television provider.
Also Monday, they approved hiring Rhonda Irish of Jay as the new town administrator. She is expected to begin her duties at the town office Monday, May 2.
Board Chairman Dean Campbell said Mike Edgecomb, government affairs manager for Adelphia’s Maine operations, agreed to attend the selectmen’s May 9 meeting to discuss an ongoing contract dispute, unless something more pressing comes up.
About a month ago, selectmen received a letter from Adelphia saying the company believed the town’s 15-year contract had been automatically renewed last Dec. 10, when it expired.
On April 5, the town responded through attorney James Belleau that Minot had repeatedly called for meetings with Adelphia officials prior to Dec. 10 to renegotiate the terms of its contract, and that the town did not, and does not, want the present contract extended until 2019.
Selectmen have yet to receive an official response to the April 5 letter.
Selectmen learned from Road Manager Arlan Saunders that he is on the track of at least one person who had something to do with the disappearance of emergency warning devices from a washout on Millett Road. Saunders said that barricades, warning signs and barrels worth $500 were stolen from the Millett Road washout after the storm of April 2 and 3. He said if he does not make progress in his investigation he will hand over the matter to law enforcement officials.
Saunders also reported that he had submitted damage claims to the Federal Emergency Management Agency for the third winter storm. He estimated the reimbursement to the town will total about $25,000.
Saunders said he hopes to be able to take down postings on the town’s paved roads by this weekend, but added that the town’s dirt roads likely will remain off limits for heavy vehicles for at least another week.
Comments are no longer available on this story