HOOVER, Ala. (AP) – D.A. Weibring shot a 3-under 69 for a two-stroke victory over Tom Jenkins and Tom Kite at the Bruno’s Memorial Classic on Sunday, surviving a scare on the 18th hole when his ball appeared to move before his final putt.

Weibring’s celebration was put on hold until Champions Tour officials ruled that his putter didn’t touch the ground before the ball moved. That violation would have cost him a two-stroke penalty and forced a three-way playoff.

Rules official Ken Lindsey said Kite indicated to Weibring he thought the ball moved before the 4-inch putt. Weibring responded that he wasn’t sure, and Lindsey reviewed the putt using three camera angles.

“I feel very confident that he (Weibring) did not address the ball so he did not get a penalty,” Lindsey said.

Weibring finished 15 under for his third Champions Tour victory and first of the year, outplaying final-round partners Kite and Dana Quigley at Greystone Golf Club.

Jenkins eagled the par-4 12th hole with a 125-yard sand wedge shot from the fairway and then sank an 18-footer for birdie on No. 14 but couldn’t push any closer. He shot a final-round 66.

Weibring moved to 15 under with 8-foot putt for birdie on 15 and would have won without drama if not for the 18th-hole controversy.

Quigley came in tied for second with Kite, but had a bogey and double bogey on the first four holes and finished five strokes back. Quigley closed with a 73.

Kite tied the tournament record with a 63 on Saturday, but the 1992 U.S. Open champion missed a tap-in putt on No. 13 for bogey and finished with a 70.

It was likely the end of the Memorial’s 14-year run at Greystone. The tournament is expected to move to Ross Bridge, a new golf course and resort being completed this summer in Hoover.

AP-ES-05-22-05 1828EDT

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.