The New York Jets, preparing for the possibility of life without Curtis Martin, acquired running back Lee Suggs from the Cleveland Browns on Monday for defensive back Derrick Strait.
With the 33-year-old Martin, the NFL’s fourth leading career rusher, on the physically-unable-to-perform list because of a lingering knee injury, the Jets were desperate to get another back. Derrick Blaylock and Cedric Houston are 1-2 right now, but neither is the type of player who can shoulder the entire rushing load.
Martin underwent surgery on his right knee in December and has yet to practice. Reports have said he has a “bone on bone” condition in his knee, but Martin continues to rehab. Last week he said he wants to play this season.
Suggs hasn’t been able to stay on the field for the Browns, who selected him in the fourth round of the 2003 draft. At various times, Suggs has been sidelined by injuries to a shoulder, neck, toe, ankle and thumb.
The speedy 6-foot, 213-pounder appeared in only seven games as a rookie because of a shoulder injury he sustained at Virginia Tech. In his final game that season, he ran for 186 yards and two touchdowns.
Suggs won a starting job in training camp in 2004, but hurt his neck in the final preseason game and was inactive for the first three games of the regular season. He returned to play in seven games before missing three straight with a toe injury.
He finished that season with 744 yards and two touchdowns.
Suggs hurt his ankle during the preseason last year and missed Cleveland’s first two games. He dressed in Weeks 3 and 4 but injured his thumb and was inactive for six weeks.
Strait was a third-round pick in 2004 but has been a backup in his two NFL seasons. During camp, he moved over to safety in the absence of Erik Coleman, out after an appendectomy. Strait had 31 tackles last season, but has yet to notch his first career interception. Strait will bring some immediate and needed depth at cornerback for the Browns.
Dolphins
Dan Wilkinson signed with Miami after two months of negotiations.
The 340-pound defensive tackle, the first overall pick in the 1994 draft, missed more than two weeks of training camp before agreeing to a three-year deal.
“I was in no big rush,” said Wilkinson, who spent the last three years with Detroit. “I’m refreshed, I’m back and I’m excited.”
Dolphins coach Nick Saban began the courtship two months ago, shortly after Wilkinson was released by the Detroit Lions. On Miami’s aging line, the acquisition of Wilkinson represents a youth movement – at 33, he’s expected to challenge 36-year-old Keith Traylor for a starting job.
“We’re going to give him a little time to evaluate his conditioning and not just throw him to the wolves,” Saban said. “He adds depth to our team and is certainly a guy who can be a potential starter for us down the road when he figures out what to do.”
Rams
Pro Bowl offensive tackle Orlando Pace left morning practice with what the team believed to be minor injuries to his right ankle and knee.
Coach Scott Linehan said Pace’s leg “kind of got rolled up” during a 9-on-7 drill. Pace appeared to shake it off, but the team scheduled X-rays as a precaution.
“It didn’t appear after he walked it off that it was anything real serious, but we’re going to take an X-ray, and when I know more about it I’ll let you know,” Linehan said.
Veteran Todd Steussie finished practice with the first team at left tackle for Pace, who made his seventh straight Pro Bowl last season.
Eagles
Defensive end Jerome McDougle will miss at least three weeks while recovering from two broken ribs. The injury occurred Saturday and flared up Sunday in practice.
It’s yet another setback for McDougle, who missed the entire 2005 season after being shot in the abdomen in Miami. He also missed eight games with various injuries in his rookie season, 2003, and missed five games in 2004.
McDougle had been playing well before the injury, which coach Andy Reid said is unrelated to the gunshot. He registered a sack and three tackles in the Eagles’ 20-7 preseason win over the Cleveland Browns on Thursday.
Panthers
Carolina coach John Fox and defensive end Mike Rucker missed practice to attend the funeral of safety Mike Minter’s mother.
Owner Jerry Richardson, team president Mark Richardson and general manager Marty Hurney also flew to Lawton, Okla., for the service.
Minter, beginning his 10th season with the Panthers, left training camp Aug. 8 when his mother, Florida, suddenly became ill at her home. She died Thursday.
Minter, Carolina’s career leader with 125 starts, 861 tackles and four interception returns for touchdowns, missed Saturday’s 14-13 preseason win against Buffalo. He’s expected to rejoin the team this week.
Comments are no longer available on this story