LEWISTON – For two periods, it was strong play in the final seconds that help lift Lewiston into the lead Wednesday night.

As the final period came to a close, however, it was Scarborough’s turn. Lewiston scored with three and eight seconds remaining, respectively, in the first two periods to build a 2-1 lead late in regulation, but the Red Storm’s late tally proved to have the biggest impact.

Brent Mayo knocked a rebound out of the air with 56 seconds left in regulation and then set up a Mike Dakers blast midway through overtime to lift Scarborough to a 3-2 victory.

Lewiston claimed that Mayo’s tying goal came off a high stick, but after the officials consulted, the goal counted. Lewiston coach Norm Gagne was told that the stick was high, but it was not above the crossbar.

“It’s tough, especially on a high stick,” said Gagne. “I don’t care what he’s saying. It was a high stick. He said it was a high stick, but he hit it below the bar. That’s a tough one to swallow.

“But it was a good game, and I’m proud of the kids because we played with the best team in the state.”

Lewiston (1-1) had held off Scarborough for much of the third period, killing off four Red Storm power plays. With 1:20 left, Scarborough (2-0) pulled goaltender Josh Larrabee and pressed for the equalizer.

A shot from the point was deflected in the air. Nate Gadbois put the loose puck toward the net. It bounced up in the air, and Mayo was at the left side to steer it in.”

“We knew we’re up in Lewiston, and it was going to be a tough game,” said Dakers, who had his fourth and fifth goals of the year against the Blue Devils. “They’re a good team. We just had to stay focused and stay positive.”

Scarborough, with 15 seniors, kept the pressure on in overtime, outshooting Lewiston 6-2. Mayo circled around the net and found Dakers wide open between the circles. He one-timed the pass into the top of the net with 4:29 left.

“Brent Mayo had a nice move behind the net,” said Dakers. “He came around the side and passed it out to me. All I had to do was shoot it.”

The comeback spoiled a solid effort by a young Lewiston club. Goaltender Zach Plourd had a fine outing with 30 saves. Jake Brown and Tim Gilbert anchored Lewiston’s defensive effort with help from Andrew Marden, making his first start on the blue line, and Joey Klemanski, who was battling an illness.

“I thought my defense played well,” said Gagne, who was also pleased with his third line of Nate Parker, Mike Sarrazin and Justin Nadeau.

Lewiston had numerous chances in the opening period but didn’t score until three seconds remained. Jordan Bourgoin tipped in a centering pass from Jon Roy.

Scarborough picked up the pace and outshot Lewiston over the final two periods. Dakers tied the game at 6:19 of the second on the power play. Casey Poussard put the Blue Devils back in front with eight seconds left in the second, redirecting a Matt Letourneau pass.

“I think we came out and established what we were going to do,” said Gagne. “We stuck to the game plan. We had an awful lot opportunities.”

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.