LEWISTON – It was supposed to be a pass.

Mike Sarrazin fired the puck toward the front of the net, hoping one of his yellow-line teammates would be near enough to throw the puck at Brunswick netminder Matt Pellerin for a scoring chance.

Instead, Sarrazin turned into a hero.

Officials credited the Lewiston senior, one of just three seniors on the Blue Devils’ roster, with a goal at 10:03 of the third period after his pass bounced off of a Brunswick skate and into the net past a stunned Pellerin.

Sarrazin’s goal snapped a brief tie and lifted Lewiston to a 2-1 win over the Dragons in front a a raucous crowd at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee on Saturday.

“I told the kids, I reminded them of last year against Brunswick, when we were down 1-0 going into the third period, just like (Saturday),” Lewiston coach Norm Gagne said. “We scored in the third to tie it up then, too.”

Last year, the teams played in an epic, five-overtime game at the Cumberland County Civic Center, also a 2-1 Lewiston win. Last year’s winner came from then-third-liner Matt Letourneau. On Saturday, both Blue Devil goals came from their third line.

First, Joe Klemanski, a sophomore transfer from St. Dom’s, fired the puck short side past Pellerin on a nice feed from Sarrazin.

“I missed the first time, and my only thought on that was to make sure I hit the net,” Klemanski said.

The shot hit Pellerin’s right pad and found its way into the net.

Then, Sarrazin’s strike all but sealed the deal. The Lewiston defense – and sophomore netminder Dylan LaBonte – shut the door.

“We had a tough time later in the game,” Brunswick coach Dave Boucher said. “We weren’t getting the forecheck we were getting in the first period.”

The Blue Devils held the Dragons to just five shots over the final 30 minutes of play, and to just 14 overall.

“I was getting nervous in the third,” LaBonte said. “We were going into the third. We hadn’t scored and here we are in the playoffs.”

Kit Smith put the visiting Dragons on the board first at 4:42 of the opening period. Joel Enrico put the original shot on LaBonte from 15 feet out. The puck bounded back into the center of the slot, right to Smith. With a defender between him and LaBonte, Smith fired the puck through both sets of legs in front of him and into the back of the net.

“I had one of our guys and one of their guys in front of me screening the play,” LaBonte said. “I never saw it.”

Neither team capitalized on their first power play chances of the game. Lewiston had a couple of chances against Pellerin, but the junior netminder slammed the door.

“(Pellerin) played a great game,” Boucher said. “He did all we could have asked him to do.”

On the other end, LaBonte stopped a penalty shot by Matt DeFio after the Brunswick forward was hauled down on a breakaway by Lewiston defenseman Justin Nadeau.

In the second, the Blue Devils took over and spent two-thirds of the period inside the Brunswick zone, but Pellerin held tough, stopping all 10 shots he saw to preserve the 1-0 lead.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.