CANTON – A brush fire on Staples Hill Road burned for more than an hour Sunday afternoon, scorching just under an acre of land.

According to fire Capt. George Spear, the fire began around 3:30 p.m. when a chunk of lit tobacco fell from the pipe of a man collecting sap.

“He was up on a ledge where the conditions are really dry,” Spear said. “A cigarette probably wouldn’t have ignited, but a wad of tobacco like that is more dangerous.”

Spear said crews had the fire out within 90 minutes.

The Peru Fire Department assisted with water supply and manpower.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.