DIXFIELD – SAD 21 directors unanimously voted to expel a Dirigo Middle School student Monday night after a nearly 90-minute closed hearing.
The boy, who was not identified, had been suspended more than once during the school year, Superintendent Tom Ward said.
“There was an accumulation of issues,” he said.
Ward said he will meet with the boy and his parents to explain the steps that must be taken before he can be readmitted. This includes such things as counseling and community service.
The board and Ward met in closed session with the student, his parents and middle school Principal Celena Ranger for 50 minutes, then met with only the superintendent for another 30 minutes before coming out of closed session and taking a vote.
The board also continued work on what promised to be a long night of trying to come up with a final 2007-08 operating budget. Residents in the four-town district will vote on the final figure on May 29.
Discussed was the possibility of establishing a transitional grade one position for 10 to 12 kindergarten youngsters from Dixfield elementary and Peru elementary schools who may need another year of skills development before promotion to first grade.
“We believe this would be proactive,” said Dixfield Principal Kathy Richard. “We’d rather go this route than have a child stay back.”
She and Peru Principal Brenda Gammon said the creation of the transitional teaching position would not cost the district additional money because one kindergarten position would be eliminated.
“We look at transitional one as a half-step forward. It wouldn’t be for behavioral problems but for students who aren’t ready for first grade,” Gammon said.
“It would give them a little more time,” Richard said.
The two principals suggested moving one of the two current K-4 reading teachers to the proposed transitional one position because she has had experience teaching transitional one pupils.
Also discussed during the budget development process was the possibility of charging a $15 per student per sport participation fee for middle and high school students, and increasing the ticket price for adults who attend sporting events.
In other matters Monday, the board approved a three-year technology plan that, once in place, would assure that every child coming out of elementary school would have the same technology available when they get to middle school, and that every middle school student would have the same technology when they get to high school.
Federal E-rate funds, received through telephone assessments, and grants would provide money to purchase the necessary technology, Ward said.
The board also accepted the resignation of Frances Lee, a longtime special education teacher at Peru Elementary School, and learned of the appointment of Athena Sanders and Erin Leathers as co-coaches for varsity field hockey at Dirigo High School.
Comments are no longer available on this story