2 min read

BANGOR, Maine (AP) – Two northern Maine men have been sentenced to a combined 23 years in prison for breaking into a trailer last fall and attacking a man and woman with a spiked bat.

David Michaud, 26, of Lee was sentenced Friday in Penobscot County Superior Court to 18 years in prison, with three years suspended. His co-defendant, 22-year-old Daniel McComb of Lincoln, was sentenced to 14 years in prison with all but eight years suspended.

Michaud, McComb and a third man admitted they attacked a man and woman last September after breaking into their trailer in Enfield in search of cash and drugs. Michaud’s lawyer told the judge that the robbery and assaults were the result of a three-day drug binge.

The third defendant, 42-year-old Scott Lord of Enfield, was sentenced earlier this year to 15 years in prison, with 10 of those years suspended.

In court on Friday, Detective Bill Flagg of the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office displayed the weapon to Judge Thomas Warren. It looked like it was made of a shortened baseball bat or the handle of a large garden tool, with short spikes similar to those on medieval weapons embedded in one end.

The victims testified that they were terrified for themselves and their 6-month-old child, who was sleeping in a crib, when confronted with the weapon. The man suffered puncture wounds at the base of his skull in the attack, while the woman had puncture marks on one arm.

“It has no purpose other than criminal, and that is a violent criminal purpose,” the judge said. “The words (on the bat) make it more reprehensible.”

The words he referred to were either carved or burned into the wood. On one side of the bat was a racial slur, while the other side read, “Hi Ho Hi Ho, It’s off to the kill we go.”



Information from: Bangor Daily News, http://www.bangornews.com

AP-ES-06-02-07 1231EDT

Comments are no longer available on this story