RUMFORD – The two Norway maples that stand in front of the Municipal Building will be coming down before snows flies.
Selectmen on Thursday agreed to the removal after hearing about their condition by Selectmen Greg Buccina and Frank DiConzo.
Plans are to replace them with more suitable trees in the spring, perhaps with the financial help of a Maine Forest Service grant program known as Project Canopy.
Town Manager Jim Doar said the town will likely apply for funds to help pay for two new trees in front of the Municipal Building as well as possibly for the replacement of some of the trees in the rest of the downtown area.
DiConzo said the branches on the 50-year-old trees are susceptible to breaking and could be the cause of a lawsuit if one of them should collapse on someone during the winter.
Buccina said an arborist he met with recently said the trees weren’t worth trimming.
The town’s Public Works Department will remove the trees.
– Eileen Adams
Their removal has been a source of controversy among many residents, some wanting them down, others adamantly against the idea. When the board first voted on the potential removal last month, it was split.
But further information resulted in a unanimous vote for their removal.
Comments are no longer available on this story