Recently, the Region 9 School of Applied Technology in Mexico was evacuated when carbon monoxide entered the building. I am very pleased that, thanks to the proper actions taken by the faculty, staff, students and the Bowman Brothers construction crew, the building was evacuated quickly and safely, according to the disaster plan. Because of this, no permanent injuries were sustained by any of the people on-site.

Twenty six people who were suffering possible symptoms of CO poisoning were transported to Rumford Hospital and to Swift River Health Care where they were evaluated and treated. Throughout this incident, everyone who helped was professional, efficient and caring.

The Region 9 School of Applied Technology would like to thank all the responders and organizations for their excellent help and care during the incident.

We also want to congratulate and thank the students, faculty and staff of the school for doing exactly what they were supposed to do in an emergency. Thanks are also due the sending schools, Dirigo, Telstar and Mountain Valley, for helping contact students’ families, and for assisting students when they returned to their respective schools from this incident.

We encouraging every business and household in our region to create and practice an emergency evacuation plan. We also urge the public to check smoke and carbon monoxide detectors regularly.

Brenda Gammon, Mexico

Director, Region 9 School of Applied Technology


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.