SAUGUS, Mass. (AP) – A Saugus firefighter who battled through heavy smoke to rescue a disabled woman trapped on the second floor of a burning three-story home has been hospitalized with serious injuries.

Chief James Blanchard told Boston station WHDH-TV that if the firefighter had not gone in when he did, the woman would not have survived. The station reported the firefighter suffered carbon monoxide poisoning.

The woman and her husband were hospitalized and three other firefighters suffered minor injuries. No names were released.

The chief says the injured firefighter was one of the first on the scene of the four-alarm blaze. He charged up the stairs into the heavy smoke and helped the woman escape out a window.

Television images show the injured firefighter being carried down the front steps of the home by his colleagues. He was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.