FITZWILLIAM, N.H. (AP) – A teenager who lost many of her possessions in a house fire was able to go to her senior prom after firefighters chipped in to buy her a new dress.

The fire broke out Saturday afternoon at the home where Alexandra Shaw lives with her uncle and his wife. No one was injured, but the family lost three of their pets and many of their belongings.

Fitzwilliam Fire Chief William Prigge said firefighters didn’t want to see Shaw miss her prom because her dress was burned so they collected some money for a new one.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.