DARTMOUTH, Mass. (AP) – Authorities say a couple trying to beat the high cost of gasoline accidentally caused an apartment complex fire.

Fire Chief Richard Arruda told The Standard-Times of New Bedford the couple had about 45 gallons of gasoline in nine plastic jugs stacked in a closet that also housed an air conditioning unit.

The gasoline fumes apparently set off Thursday’s fire, which was quickly put out by a sprinkler system.

No one was seriously hurt, but residents of eight units of the complex were displaced.

Arruda and a spokeswoman for the state fire marshal said investigators believe the couple were storing the gas because of rising prices.

Officials said the couple, whom they did not identify, might face civil penalties for violating the fire code.



Information from: The Standard-Times, http://www.s-t.com

AP-ES-06-05-08 2253EDT


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.