CONCORD, N.H. (AP) – A month after a tornado struck New Hampshire, state officials say about 60 families have suffered major damage to their homes or lost them completely, and that money going to the communities should be in the state’s hands soon.

Chris Pope, the state emergency management director, also said at a news conference Monday updating this summer’s weather recovery effort that another 80 to 90 homes received some type of damage, much of which has been repaired at this point.

Gov. John Lynch said he asked FEMA late last week to reconsider its earlier decision not to include assistance to individuals in the recent presidential disaster declaration. Public assistance has been granted to the counties affected by the July 24 tornado, which tore through at least 11 communities and 8,400 acres and killed a woman in Deerfield.

Lynch said communities already have started making repairs and that FEMA’s goal is to reimburse them as quickly as possible.

Officials said money should be in the state’s hands before the end of next week.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.