MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) – A 14-year-old boy accidentally set his house on fire while trying to make a hot lunch.

Fire officials say there were no injuries, but that the fire early Tuesday afternoon caused $30,000-$40,000 damage.

Melissa Crane told The New Hampshire Union Leader her son called her to report the house was on fire, then disappeared. He was found, uninjured, by mid-afternoon, District Fire Chief Jim Michael said.

Crane said the boy was home sick from school and she told him to make sandwiches for himself and a family friend who lives with them. Instead, she said, he decided to cook something.

Crane said the kitchen is burned. The rest of the home saw heavy smoke damage, Michael said.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.