DOVER, N.H. (AP) – The man who took hostages last year at one of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton’s campaign offices pleaded guilty on Tuesday, and was sentenced to three years in jail, followed by mental health treatment.

Leeland Eisenberg of Somersworth, 47, pleaded guilty to kidnapping, criminal threatening and making a false report to police. He’s been held at the Strafford County jail since being arrested after entering Clinton’s Rochester office last Nov. 30, claiming to have a bomb. No one was hurt in a five-hour standoff and the bomb turned out to be road flares.

Eisenberg apologized in court, saying he hopes to receive some treatment in jail.

The 306 days Eisenberg has been jailed since the incident will be credited to the sentence, meaning he will spend a little more than two more years behind bars, followed by probation, including drug treatment, counseling and treatment for mental illness.

The plea agreement also included a felony stalking charge Eisenberg received on Oct. 29, 2007, after an incident with his ex-wife at her home. Eisenberg took the stand to tell the victims he lives with “shame, regret, remorse and sorrow” for what he did.

“I am sorry for what you and your family went through,” Eisenberg said, reading from a statement. “This is my fault and my fault alone.”

He told the court he had tried to get treatment for his mental health problems that sometimes made him suicidal, but could not be admitted because he had no money of health insurance.

Eisenberg said he also had been drinking heavily in the month before the standoff; he said he began drinking at 5 a.m. that day.

Eisenberg said he decided to go to the Clinton field office after seeing a campaign commercial in which the presidential candidate helped a constituent get medical treatment.

“I wish I could tell you why or give you a reason this happened,” he said. “I do know without a doubt if I had been on the right medication and seeking proper treatment, none of this would have ever happened.”

Eisenberg said he has received treatment in jail has completed his high school GED.

Strafford County Attorney Thomas Velardi argued that Eisenberg wasn’t remorseful, but was apologizing to the victims and the city of Rochester to gain favor with the court.

“I don’t think he (Eisenberg) has any idea what he has caused these people and their loved ones,” said Velardi. He reminded the court that Eisenberg has a long criminal record.

Though Velardi said the sentence was endorsed by both sides, he expressed disappointment in the length of jail time issued for a crime he called “a form of domestic terrorism.” His office had requested Eisenberg receive three to seven years in the New Hampshire State Prison.

On Nov. 30, 2007, Eisenberg entered the Clinton’s Rochester field office with what appeared to be sticks of dynamite strapped to his abdomen. Wire protruded from what looked to be an explosive device and Eisenberg held a trigger mechanism, telling the six people inside that if he let go of the switch the bomb would exploded, Velardi said.

He made everyone lie faced-down on the floor, making calls to the Rochester Police Department and CNN. Eisenberg eventually let his hostages go.

According to Rochester Deputy Chief Michael Allen, more than 200 law enforcement officers responded from local, state and federal agencies.

AP-ES-09-30-08 1752EDT

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.