BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) – Vermont health officials are warning people not to eat undercooked meat after a ninth person was diagnosed with food-borne illness possibly linked to contaminated beef.

In eight of the cases, including a child who was hospitalized, the Health Department says the E. coli bacteria came from ground beef that was contaminated before it was distributed to several Vermont restaurants.

Health officials say the restaurants have changed their beef supply, but that the beef could have been distributed elsewhere and that it wasn’t available in stores.

The Health Department says a tenth case is suspected. Anyone suffering from severe abdominal symptoms should seek medical help.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.