WOONSOCKET, R.I. (AP) – Fire officials now believe careless smoking caused the fire that decimated a four-story, multi-family apartment building in Woonsocket.

Flames erupted in the East School Street building Monday night, spreading through hot air ducts and leaping out of the roof and upper-story windows.

No one was injured.

The only family living in the foreclosed building was in the process of moving out but lost most of what they owned in the fire.

Fire officials were investigating whether the fire was suspicious, but say they now think careless smoking sparked the blaze.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.