2 min read

GRAY – A $300,696 reduction in state aid to the SAD 15 budget had officials scampering to pare spending last week.

Superintendent Victoria Burns told the school board Wednesday that SAD 15 must prepare for cuts in state subsidy funding for the next two years.

The district must also pay $400,000 through the fiscal 2009 budget for change orders for the Gray-New Gloucester High School renovation project.

“The communities must come together and help MSAD 15 make the right decisions about the reductions of resources,” said Burns as she presented an overview on proposals to curb spending with one-third of the school budget for the year already spent.

The plan recommends eliminating class trips at $15,000; reducing technology spending by $150,000; saving copier lease and related spending by $102,000; reducing staff professional development by $40,000. Also, cutting $6,400 from psychologist consultation and $4,050 in spending for the girls freshmen basketball team.

The district is also preparing for another round of state subsidy cuts this year. Administration will spend on an “as needed” basis for the rest of the year to offset future subsidy reductions.

“We must be proactive and save money now when 60 percent of our money remains. Administrators are reviewing discretionary lines and determining what percentage must remain to fund purchases to keep instructional programs intact,” Burns said.

Informing people in the district about the cuts and gaining feedback is next, she said. A blog will be available on the district’s Web site for people to offer their thoughts before Jan. 28 board workshop on spending.

A study committee also will meet to prepare recommendations.

Comments are no longer available on this story