BELFAST (AP) – A 31-year-old Belfast woman accused of shooting her husband in the head while he was asleep at their home has changed her plea from not guilty by reason of insanity to not guilty.
Amber Cummings was arraigned last month on a charge of murdering 29-year-old James Cummings on Dec. 9. She changed her plea Thursday in Waldo County Superior Court.
Her lawyer, Eric Morse, told the Bangor Daily News that the insanity plea was entered as a legal precaution and that Cummings had every intention of changing it.
Cummings remains free on $50,000 cash bail. Morse said the case is likely to go to trial in the fall.
Following the killing, authorities removed from the home radioactive materials and bombmaking instructions that were linked to James Cummings.
Comments are no longer available on this story