AUGUSTA – Frederick George Boyce, 81, of North Monmouth, died Friday, April 24, at the Maine Veterans’ Home, where he was a resident since Memorial Day 2007.

Fred was born in Presque Isle, on June 7, 1927, to Frederick G. and Lena C. (Hendrickson) Boyce. He was educated in the Presque Isle school system, graduating from Presque Isle High School, Class of 1944. Upon graduation, he joined the U.S. Coast Guard during World War II, and served as radioman aboard the USS Beaufort and the USS Muskegon.

Returning home at the end of his duty, he worked for Northeast Airlines in Presque Isle and Augusta. In his free time, he played sax with some of the local dance bands, including the Rhythm Kings, Hal Delano and the Fred Fulton Band. He played with these bands in the Aroostock County until 1953.

In the early 1950s, he joined New England Telephone Co. as a lineman. After moving to Waterville in 1954, he became a local test man during the time of the dial conversion. He retired as a local test supervisor in 1982 with 33 years of service with the Bell System.

On Feb. 12, 1949, he married Evelyn T. Clevette of Caribou. Together they had two children, Anna of Auburn and Steven and his wife, Barbara, of Arrowsic. They were the proud grandparents of Trisha Hutchison, who passed away in

1987, Todd Hutchison of North Monmouth and Katie and Kelsey Boyce of Arrowsic. He and Evelyn shared 53 years of togetherness until she passed away in October 2002.

In 1979, he purchased Beaver Brook Campground. During his ownership, he experienced many pleasures. No pleasures were greater than the people he met and the friendships that developed while he owned the campground. These continued long after he sold the business in 1994.

He was a member of the following organizations, life member of Bourque-Lanigan Post 5 American Legion of Waterville; Maine Country Music Association-elected to the Hall of Fame in 2000; U.S. Coast Guard Patrol Frigate Reunion Association; Telco Pioneers of America; Waterville Lodge of Elks 905 and the Family Motor Coach Association.

Throughout his years as a member in many groups and organizations, he was fortunate to hold the following leadership roles; director of Maine Campground Owners Association, committee man of Boy Scout Troop 412 of Waterville, secretary of the Maine State Softball Association during the Fast Pitch era, senior counselor of the United Commercial Travelers Council 554, exalted ruler of Waterville Lodge of Elks, and state chairman of the Elks National Foundation. After his second retirement, he lived in a home he built in North Monmouth on Androscoggin Lake. He happily spent his final years with his longtime friend and companion, Geraldine Nimon. During the later stages of his battle with dementia, he moved to the Maine Veterans’ Home in Augusta.

The family would like to extend a heartfelt thank you to the staff of “A” company who took exceptional care of Fred until his death. In addition, visits from relatives, friends and the hospice staff helped us all make it through this difficult time “thank-you.”

Guest Book