BATH, Maine (AP) — Bath Iron Works has notified its largest union of another 58 temporary layoffs as the shipyard transitions to the Navy’s next-generation destroyer.
Earlier this week, the shipyard laid off 67 workers across a variety of fields as shipyard President Jeff Geiger announced a workload gap that’ll persist over the next four to six months. Friday’s announcement applied to preservation technicians, which includes painters.
The company says it’s trying to minimize the layoffs, which are described as temporary. Spokesman Jim DeMartini says the shipyard’s workload will ramp up after the transition and will be followed by several years of relative stability for workers.
Comments are no longer available on this story