Dear Sun Spots: Please tell me: How long can you keep deck stain? I have one gallon cans, never opened, a few years old. Can I use it now? Thank you, you are very much appreciated. – D.G., Lewiston.

Sun Spots spoke with Greg Sawyer, owner of Handy True Value Hardware in Mechanic Falls. Sawyer said that if the cans didn’t freeze at all, they should be all set to use. He said to hand shake the can and after opening, stir it up with a paint stick, being sure to scrape the bottom of the can to mix up all the pigment that may have settled. Alternatively, you can bring it to a store that has the machine to shake the cans.

If you are worried about the quality of the stain since it has been sitting so long, Sawyer suggests testing it in a corner of the deck. Let the stain dry, then spray it with water. If the water beads up, then you know it’s working.

Dear Sun Spots: I am a doctoral learner who is presenting research this fall in Prague, Czech Republic, and wondering if there are any services that others need help with in exchange for donations toward my trip. Of course, donations would be accepted, but I am wondering if there are ways that I might be able to raise money by helping others. My phone number is 576-9645. – Bill Lagasse, Auburn.

Dear Sun Spots: Can you tell me why Campbell Brown hasn’t been on CNN for awhile? Also, I have been looking for Mentadent toothpaste and haven’t been able to find it anywhere. I hope it hasn’t been discontinued. – B.A.P., No Town.

Answer: Campbell Brown returned to CNN on June 1, after taking maternity leave since giving birth to her second son, Asher Liam Senor, born April 6. Asher is the second son for Brown and and her husband, Dan Senor.

Roland Martin filled in as the “No Bias, No Bull” host for Brown while she was on leave.

According to the Mentadent company, the toothpaste may be purchased at Wal-Mart, Target, Kmart and most food and drug chains. Since we’re not sure which stores are in your area, we suggest calling ahead before visiting.

Dear Sun Spots: I am looking for a video adapter for my RCA video camera model number CPS011, serial number 0342P0027. I would like to buy one for a reasonable price or would someone out there know where I could get one? I’d appreciate it very much. My phone number is 783-8698, also have an answering machine. Thank you. – Therese, Sabattus.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.