OXFORD — An Auburn man was killed Wednesday night when his car crashed into a wall during a race at Oxford Plains Speedway.

Police said Charles Webster, 38, of Ninth Street, was pronounced dead after he was taken to Stephens Memorial Hospital in Norway.

Witnesses said Webster lost control off turn two and may have gone airborne briefly before colliding with a wall. No bystanders were hurt.

Oxford police Detective Sgt Mike Ward, said an investigation was under way to determine the cause of the crash.
Emergency crews initially called for LifeFlight helicopter to take Webster to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston before he was taken to the Norway hospital.

Oxford Plains Speedway issued a statement on its Web site saying, “The entire Oxford Plains Speedway family expresses our deepest condolences to the family of Charlie Webster. Charlie was a valued member of our community, and we will miss him.”

The father of three daughters, Webster was a frequent participant in races at the Speedway. When he crashed Wednesday night around 7:45 p.m., he was driving the No. 75 car in the Runnin’ Rebel Series. In races dating back to June 3, Webster had finished 11th, 7th and 2nd in various races.

Melba Reynolds, Webster’s grandmother-in-law, heard the news Wednesday night. She said she considered Charles as one of her sons. “Every time he was over, he gave me a hug and a kiss,” the 80-year-old Reynolds said. “Any time I needed help, Charles was there.

“Everybody liked Charles,” Reynolds said. “We’re going to miss him.”

Rescue personnel work to remove Charles Webster from his car after a crash during a Runnin’ Rebel Series race on Wednesday at Oxford Plains Speedway. Webster, of Auburn, was pronounded dead after he was taken to Stephens Memorial Hospital in Norway.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.