DIXFIELD – The Western Foothills
School District board tabled action on a request to introduce a Jobs
for Maine Graduates program until its next meeting so a written proposal can be developed.
Jobs for Maine Graduates aims to keep
students in school by involving them in the community, through
enrichment activities and regular classes.
At issue is whether the program
could be offered at Mountain Valley High School as a pilot or whether it should be made available to all three high
schools in the district.
Mountain Valley Principal Matt Gilbert
is a strong advocate for the program, saying it was very successful in a
district where he previously taught.
“This is one of the best programs
I’ve seen from outside a school,” he said.
Craig Larrabee, statewide director of
the program that aims to use alternative methods for student
retention and follows up after graduation, proposed it for up to 50 Mountain Valley students who could benefit.
Mexico representative Betty Barrett,
and others, objected to it being for just one high school.
“We’re an RSU. All schools should be
allowed to do this. We’re supposed to be as one and I can’t see
approving it for just one high school,” she said. “When we came
together, the curriculum was supposed to be put together as a unit.”
Superintendent Tom Ward said students
in need of the program from Dirigo High School or Buckfield High
School could transfer to Mountain Valley, or a Mountain Valley
program could serve as a pilot that could be expanded to Dirigo and
Buckfield in the future.
Larrabee said the district pays for 45
percent of the program, and Jobs for Maine Graduates pays for 55
percent. As a public/private partnership, the current program has
enough money for just one.
Sumner representative John Phillips
suggested that the slots be apportioned according the the number of
students enrolled in each member district.
Board Chairman Jerry Wiley said he
wasn’t against the program, but he wants it in all three high
schools.
“I want a proposal on paper,” he
said.
Between now and Sept. 14, Ward will meet
with Gilbert, Buckfield High School Principal George Reuter, Dirigo
Principal Michael Poulin and Larrabee to try to come up with a plan
that would satisfy everyone’s concerns. If the plan should go ahead,
Larrabee said he could have a qualified person to lead the
program within two weeks.
Gilbert said part of the reason he
proposed the idea was to find a program to serve needs of some students who would have enrolled in his high
school’s Family and Consumer Science classes. The teacher of that program resigned
late, and despite constant advertising, no one with the correct
certification has applied.
A couple of board members took issue
with introducing a Jobs for Maine Graduates program in place of
Family and Consumer Science.
“I have respect for Matt, and (Jobs for Maine Graduates)
sounds like a great program, but I can’t support it to replace Family
and Consumer Science. It’s apples and oranges,” Rumford
representative Tracey Higley said.
Larrabee said several new school
districts are beginning Jobs for Maine Graduates programs this year including Skowhegan,
Madison and Carrabec. Statewide, 68 such programs are operating.
Comments are no longer available on this story