1 min read

LEWISTON — High-tech scammers targeted a Bangor cell phone exchange Wednesday hoping to dupe people into giving up their bank-account numbers.

A robot-like voice urged cell customers to punch in their account numbers or risk being cut off from their money.

By 2 p.m., Bangor Savings Bank had heard from more than 10 account holders, said Yellow Light Breen, a spokesman for the bank. Among them was the wife of the bank’s CEO.

“We’re pretty sure it was a random mass dialing,” Breen said.

In April, Bangor Savings and other banks were hit by a widespread fraud scheme using voice mail to call people. That one hit several telephone exchanges, affecting hundreds or thousands of people. Wednesday’s strike seemed more narrowly focused.

“It looks like it was just the 299 exchange,” Breen said.

Advertisement

Tony Reaves of Lewiston took one of the calls on Wednesday. A feminine voice on the other end identified itself as coming from Bangor Savings. It sounded almost human.

“It was a robocall,” said Reaves, who works as an editor at the Sun Journal. The voice said his debit card had been “locked” and asked him to press 1 for further assistance. Then, it asked for his 16-digit account number.

Reaves hung up.

That’s the right thing to do, Breen said. His bank would never make such a request.

After such reports, the bank has changed accounts or credit cards for its customers.

“Your real bank will never be calling up to request passwords or PINs,” Breen said.

[email protected]

Comments are no longer available on this story