WILTON — Selectmen agreed Tuesday to pursue more options for the vacant Primary School.

While one proposal to turn the building into an alternative school remains on the table, the board also opted to make the property available for sale to others, check the cost of demolishing it and consider auctioning it off.

A previous proposal by Keith Swett to purchase the building for $1 and turn it into nine apartments has been withdrawn, Town Manager Rhonda Irish told the board.

Action on the second proposal to turn it into an experiential school for students at risk of dropping out of traditional school, submitted by clinical counselors Eric Rutberg and Rick Condon, was delayed last month. The board wanted more information, including a market survey, the results of a meeting with neighbors to the property and a five-year business or financial plan.

Rutberg and Condon’s offer is dependent on receipt of grants. Their proposal is not dependent on this property although they would like to entertain that option, Condon told the board.

While submitting answers to some of the board’s questions, the proposal pretty much remains the same, he said.

A market survey taken since indicated 96 percent of those polled would consider enrolling a child at risk of dropping out of school in a private school while 96 percent also agreed that a private school in Western Maine, which nurtures students holistically in mind, body and spirit, was needed.

A meeting within the neighborhood was sought but has not been held.

The pair intends to apply for several grants to purchase and renovate the building, but were unwilling to reveal more specifics on how they plan to build and maintain a viable business.

In their written response to selectmen, Rutberg and Condon suggested that the town did not need to take the building off the market while they pursue grants. If the town does take it off the market for one year, they will commit to purchasing the property for $100,000. If not, then a price would be negotiated later.

Although Rutberg and Condon asked the town to give them the first option to provide “earnest money” in the event a real offer is made on the property, they were not prepared to present such “earnest money” until that time, they wrote.

While suggesting the board respect the proposed offer, Selectman Irv Faunce moved that they also remain open to other ideas and explore the cost of demolition.

Taxpayers have said “just tear it down” so what is the cost? he asked. Selectman Tom Saviello wanted to amend the motion to also seek the costs on auction opportunities.

“We need to keep our attention on it and start developing ideas. We’ve listed the property and waited for ideas to come forward. It’s time for us to take more initiative,” Faunce said.

He also expressed hope that there would be a dialogue with people in the community.

“We need to involve community members; we represent the community and people have feelings about it,” he said.

The board voted unanimously to accept the three-part motion and to review demolition and auction information at their first November meeting.

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.