A man wanted in connection with the shooting of a Gray man late Sunday night during a home invasion was arrested Monday evening after authorities surrounded the rental cabin he was holed up in along Roosevelt Trail in Windham.

Steve McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety, reported Monday about 7:40 p.m. that Jon Brown, 52, was taken into custody without incident at about 7 p.m. by the State Police Tactical Team, which surrounded the cabin.

McCausland reported that Brown was taken to the Maine State Police barracks in Gray for questioning. Brown is accused of beating and shooting 64-year-old Harold Small at his Shaker Road home in Gray about 11:20 p.m. Sunday.

Police said they had no address for Brown.

Small had surgery Monday at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston to remove bullet fragments from his skull and his badly damaged right eye. Police say Small was beaten, tied up and shot in the face.

Authorities said they responded to a 911 call from a man who said he needed medical attention. He said a person came to his home and beat him with a blunt object then shot him in the head after tying him up.

Despite suffering the gunshot wound from a small-caliber handgun, Small remained conscious, freed himself and called police. He was taken to CMMC for treatment.

Small knows Brown and identified him as the attacker, Cumberland County Sheriff’s Capt. Don Goulet said.

“It is a very serious injury, and a very serious surgery,” Goulet said.

Brown was in prison from 1984 to 1997 for an attempted murder in 1982. His record includes convictions for burglary, gross sexual assault, theft, assault and attempted escape from prison, all from 1977 to 1983.

McCausland reported that the Maine State Police was assisted by the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office, Windham Police, and the Southern Maine Violent Crimes Task Force, which all assisted in the day-long search for Brown.

McCausland reported that Brown will be charged with attempted murder, elevated aggravated assault and robbery in connection with Sunday’s shooting. Following questioning, Brown will be transported to the Cumberland County Jail in Portland.