WILTON — Firefighters arrived at a Magrath Road home Wednesday afternoon “just in the nick of time” and averted a potential structure fire.

A stovepipe in the home of Greg Toothaker at 118 Magrath Road became red hot and burned through, releasing smoke throughout the home. A family member was home and called shortly after 12:30 p.m., fire Chief Sonny Dunham said.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the area of the wood stove and took the pipe and stove outside, he said. Little water was used and not much damage was done to the home, he said.

“We arrived just in the nick of time,” he said. Other departments were called in to help but were canceled shortly after. Those included Temple, Chesterville, Jay, Livermore Falls and Farmington.

About 10 Wilton firefighters responded to the call. Several were home because of the storm day, he said.

This was their second call of day. The department was called out for a rollover accident at 4:30 a.m. on Routes 2 and 4 just before Cemetery Road in East Wilton. The road was glare ice and the driver lost control, rolling the vehicle, he said. The driver was not injured.

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.