LIVERMORE FALLS – Firefighters evacuated one of four buildings at Livermore Falls Apartments due to a higher than normal reading of carbon monoxide gas late Sunday, fire Chief Gerry Pineau said.

The cause was a malfunctioning furnace and repairs were expected to be done by Tuesday so residents could return, he said.

Livermore Falls firefighters responded to the apartment complex at about 7:50 p.m. after a carbon monoxide monitor alarm went off, Pineau said, but they found nothing. The alarm sounded again just before midnight and the carbon monoxide reading was higher than normal, he said, so Jay firefighters were called to help the five residents in the four apartments get out of the building .

A furnace technician who was called in said the residents would not be able to go back until repairs were made, Pineau said.

He offered to call the American Red Cross to help those affected find a place to stay but all had family in the area to stay with, he said.

Pineau said firefighters made sure residents had their medications from their apartments Monday, Pineau said.

The owner of the subsidized housing complex is Madison Avenue Associates of Oxford.

Livermore Falls fire Lt. Bob Cummings was in charge at the scene.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency “carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. At lower levels of exposure, CO causes mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu. These symptoms include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue. The effects of CO exposure can vary greatly from person to person depending on age, overall health and the concentration and length of exposure.”

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.