The watchtower on top of Bigelow Mountain, now owned by the Maine Bureau of Parks and Land, was burned Friday, April 15, according to Mark Russo with the Maine Forest Service Fire Control based in Farmington.

To longtime Maine Forest Service employees Duluth Wing of Eustis, who retired in 1984 after 38 years of service as a district forest ranger, and Franklin Sargent of Highland Plantation, who retired in 1988, it was not a happy day to learn that the watchtower where they had spent so many years had been burned.

But the tower had been vacant since about 1972, and with so many hikers on the Appalachian Trail there was a lot of vandalism. It was decided to close the tower, Wing said, and turn the observation of fires over to aircraft. Besides, it was getting harder to find someone to live at the cabin, which was about a third of a mile down from the tower, Wing said. That cabin is now used by Appalachian Trail hikers.

It was about 1905 when the first tower was built. It was the only one beside the tower at Squaw Mountain in Greenville, Wing said. In 1947 Wing said that he was the watchman in the tower and the steel in the tower legs was all right but the cabin on the top was rotting away with ice breaking it down. Wing said the tower was regulation size, 9 by 9 feet.

“Every year we had a problem with the sills with ice hanging on them, so I finally convinced my boss about 1960 to put in a 12- by 12-foot stone foundation with a livable cabin on the top,” Wing said.

“We had to carry the rocks on a stretcher and spent about 188 man days building the foundation.”

The late Bill Connor of Reading, Pa., was a watchman for 12 years at the tower and was a great mason. Connor came to hike the Appalachian Trail and fell in love with the area and decided to seek work at the tower. Connor did a great job constructing the tower that was burned Friday, Wing said.

He said he built the complete cabin inside during the winter at the Eustis Storehouse (the former old schoolhouse used by the Maine Forest Service).

“In the spring we took it apart and bundled it and took it by helicopter from Stratton Brook Pond area to the top of the mountain. You could drive for a while and then you had to walk on a footpath about 4 miles to get to the tower.”

Having this cabin enabled men to stay for longer hours so they could relay messages with a radio when they spotted a fire. Weather stations also radioed the Bigelow Tower for information. The new tower and cabin allowed the Forest Service to keep a tower watchman in the spring and later in the fall, Wing said.

Both Wing and his son, Kenny Wing, retired from the Maine Forest Service as wardens. “My son even worked on the tower after it was closed to have it available for the hikers,” Wing said.

Sargent, who worked with Wing in 1948 on rebuilding the tower, went back to the tower and cabin in 1993, taking photographs of not just the cabin and tower but of all of the Bigelow Preserve. Sargent transferred in 1953 to a year-round position with the Maine Forest Service and Department of Conservation as radio operator and inventory control clerk at the main office in Augusta working there for 35 years.

This story was republished with the permission of the Original Irregular.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.