1 min read

LEWISTON — Charged with beating a teenager severely enough to put him in the hospital last month, 18-year-old Jacob Estes was indicted this week by the Androscoggin County grand jury.

Estes, of Hotel Road in Auburn,  was indicted on a charge of aggravated assault. 

The alleged victim, 16-year-old Dax Catalano, ended up at Maine Medical Center in Portland where he was treated for injuries suffered in the March 1 attack.

Police said Catalano was with his 17-year-old girlfriend at the China Super Buffet when he was approached by her former boyfriend, another juvenile and Estes.

According to police, Estes punched Catalano and the two began fighting. Catalano was knocked to the ground and had stopped defending himself when Estes climbed on him and continued the beating, according to the arrest affidavit.

He didn’t stop until a passer-by yelled at him. Then he stood, kicked Catalano in the head and fled, police say.

Catalano suffered a broken skull and a blood clot in his head, his family said. The fight, they said, followed threats made on Facebook.

Police tracked down Estes and arrested him. He was later released on $5,000 bail and is currently awaiting a court hearing.

Comments are no longer available on this story