2 min read

AUGUSTA — This year’s legislative session is notable for something Maine lawmakers didn’t do — send a bond package to voters.

Lawmakers submitted 29 bills seeking bonds for a range of projects including railroads, clean water and sewer upgrades, energy efficiency and roads and bridges during the session that’s winding down. But a decision was made to set them all aside this year and carry them over for reconsideration during next year’s session.

Gov. Paul LePage set the tone in February when he declared in his budget address he supported no new bonds, borrowing or deferred payments of any kind over the next two years.

Senate Majority Leader Jonathan Courtney said voters last fall expressed concerns that the state had too much debt and needed to get it under control before it borrows more.

The decision not to approve a bond package this year is part of a multi-pronged strategy, which also includes tax breaks and regulatory changes, to improve the state’s business climate, state Treasurer Bruce Poliquin said Tuesday.

Taking a timeout from bonds “is a major statement to business that we’re deadly serious about changing the way we do business in the state of Maine,” said Poliquin.

The treasurer plans a news conference Thursday that will cover related financial issues, including the state’s credit rating, recent sale of $108 million in bonds that had previously been authorized, and the state budget that was signed Monday by LePage. Proceeds from the bonds sold June 2 will be used to fund highway and railway construction, research and development, and other capital projects.

Poliquin said the national rating agencies Standard and Poor’s and Moody’s have both held steady their credit assessment of Maine state government. The S&P rating on the general obligation bonds is AA, negative outlook and Moody’s is AA2, stable outlook.

Tagged:

Comments are no longer available on this story