SEBAGO — The Maine Warden Service on Sunday was investigating the fatal shooting of a hunter a day earlier.
Wardens said Peter Kolofsky, 46, of Sebago was wearing hunter orange when he was shot Saturday afternoon about one-half mile into the woods near 85 Hogfat Hill Road. He died at the scene.
Officials identified the person who shot Kolofsky as William Briggs, 61, of Windham. Both men were deer hunting in Sebago, but they were not hunting in the same parties.
“They always do a search of the area,” Edith Smith, spokeswoman for the Maine Department of Fisheries and Wildlife, said. “They do a thorough search of the scene.”
Smith said six to eight wardens led by Lt. Adam Gormely were investigating at the scene Sunday and will return Monday. No charges had been filed as of Sunday night.
Saturday’s shooting came a day after two other, separate hunting-related shootings in Maine. Mark Mattson, 60, of Portsmouth, N.H., remained in critical condition Sunday at Central Maine Medical Center, according to a nursing supervisor at the hospital. Mattson was shot in the stomach Friday by another hunter in Casco. And in Oxford a hunter was shot once in the lower leg by a friend.
The Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife said Kolofsky was the first hunting fatality in the Maine woods since 2008, when a man who was deer hunting in Beaver Cove died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Last year, there were seven shooting incidents, all of them involving bird and turkey hunters.
In 2009 there were eight shooting incidents, one of them involving deer hunting, but no fatalities. In 2008, there were 10 shooting incidents and one fatal.
There are more than 200,000 licensed hunters in Maine, the department said.
Comments are no longer available on this story