PARIS — A Bethel man charged with assaulting a sheriff’s deputy pleaded not guilty and is seeking to withdraw a guilty plea in a previous charge.

James D. Irish, 27, is charged with attacking Deputy Matthew Noyes of the Oxford County Sheriff’s Office, who chased Irish into the woods after a high-speed pursuit in July, according to his arrest report.

He faces charges of operating under the influence with priors, eluding an officer, assault on an officer, refusing to submit to arrest or detention, criminal mischief, operating a vehicle without a license and violating condition of release.

The charges led to a withdrawal of a deferred disposition Irish received in a domestic assault charge earlier in the year. Irish pleaded guilty to assault and domestic violence assault.

His attorney, William Maselli, said Irish was badly represented by his previous lawyer and wouldn’t have pleaded guilty if he’d had better counsel. He said Irish maintains his innocence in the earlier charges and wasn’t aware a domestic violence conviction would prevent him from owning firearms.

Justice Robert Clifford denied Maselli’s request to withdraw the plea, saying he understood that the law allowing withdrawal of a plea was meant for situations where someone has entered a guilty plea but sentencing is pending.

Irish had been under deferred disposition for months without requesting to withdraw the plea, Clifford said, and asking for it now gives the state insufficient time to respond.

Irish can still seek post-conviction review. He was sentenced to four months, with all but 24 hours suspended, and 1 year of probation.

Maselli argued against probation, but Assistant District Attorney Richard Beauchesne said Irish has a serious alcohol problem, and that probation conditions would keep him sober and protect the victim in the domestic violence assault. Beauchesne had requested six months’ jail time.

In July, Irish was charged with assaulting Deputy Noyes. According to Noyes’ report, he saw a white van driving erratically and tried to pull it over but the driver, Irish, led Noyes on a chase.

According to the report, Irish abandoned the van on Chandler Hill Road and ran into the woods, where the deputy followed. Noyes used his Taser, but only one prong made contact. The report said Irish wrestled Noyes to the ground more than once before running off into the woods.

A Maine State Police canine later found Irish. Noyes was transported to Stephens Memorial Hospital, where he was treated and released.

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: