TEMPLE – The cause of a fire that destroyed a small barn and two vehicles at 25 Maxwell Road on Sunday is believed to have been electrical in nature, fire Chief Dave True said Monday.

One Temple firefighter was injured when a piece of ceiling Sheetrock fell and hit him in the head, True said. He was taken by NorthStar Emergency Medical Service ambulance to Franklin Memorial Hospital in Farmington as a precaution. He was treated and released, True said.

More than 20 firefighters from six departments responded to the 3:45 p.m. blaze that started in a small barn 15 feet from the house. the fire spread to two vehicles and then the end of the main house up to the attic above an addition, he said.

Firefighters were able to save the main house but not without some damage being done to the exterior and upstairs in the addition of the two-story home.

The house is salvageable, he said, but will need some work, including electrical, before it can be inhabited again. Owner Teresa Nye and other residents are staying with relatives in Temple, he said. There was no insurance on the property, he said.

The flames were so hot it melted all the siding off the end of the house, True said.

A state fire investigator responded to the scene. Temple firefighters were called back to the site Monday for a flareup.

Assisting firefighters from Temple on Sunday were departments from Farmington, Industry, Jay, Strong and Wilton. Chesterville firefighters stood by at the Farmington Fire Rescue Department.

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: