PORTLAND (AP) — Maine fire marshal investigators believe a candle started a fire that claimed the life of a homeless man at an encampment in Portland.

Officials on Monday identified the victim as 53-year-old Brian Barbour of Portland and declared his death to be accidental. An autopsy determined that he died from smoke inhalation.

Firefighters responded to a fire just before midnight on Saturday on West Commercial Street. As crews extinguished the fire, the badly burned body of a man was found nearby. The fire also destroyed a tent, some personal belongings and scorched a small area of woods.

Fire Chief Jerome LaMoria says the death highlights the vulnerability of the homeless population who use open flame for heating, lighting and cooking.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.