JAY — A fire at a house at 14 Church St. early Saturday was caused by an unattended candle knocked from a shelf to a bed, Assistant Chief Mike Booker said Tuesday.

The fire was reported just after 2:30 a.m. and contained to the bedroom in the two-story house, he said. Heavy fire damage occurred in that room and smoke damage went throughout the house owned by Jody Diaz, 45, of Jay, who lives there, Booker said.

Diaz, two roommates and a visitor escaped without injury, he said. One of them had to climb out a second-story window onto a carport due to the smoke, he said.

Diaz put the fire out with a garden hose, he said.

About 17 Jay firefighters responded. Other departments from Livermore Falls, Livermore, Wilton and Farmington were canceled once Booker arrived on the scene and assessed the situation.

Firefighters checked to make sure the fire hadn’t spread into other rooms and used two fans to ventilate the house, Booker said.

Advertisement

State fire investigator Ken MacMaster was reviewing the damage Tuesday morning. MacMaster estimated damage at about $15,000, Booker said.

The house was insured.

The residents are still living at the house.

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.