NEW YORK (AP) — New York fire marshals say a blaze at a Bronx apartment building that killed three young brothers was started by candles after electricity was cut.

Fire officials say Friday’s fire started in a second-floor apartment of a six-story building just blocks from Yankee Stadium. Five-year-old Elijah Artis, 2-year-old Jeremiah Artis and 4-month-old Michael Turner were pronounced dead at a hospital.

Police say their 25-year-old mother and her two other children, a 4-year-old girl and 4-month-old girl, are stable.

Fire marshals said Saturday the fire was accidental, but there were no smoke alarms. Con Edison says the power was cut because of unpaid bills.

The building is about 10 blocks from the site of a 2007 fire that killed 10 people, including 8 children.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.