RANGELEY — Fire heavily damaged a kitchen in an apartment above The Oquossoc Market on Tuesday afternoon, but the tenant escaped without injury.

The fire, reported at about 1:15 p.m., was caused by a pot left on the stove, fire Chief Tim Pellerin said. It is considered accidental.

Lori Weaver rented the apartment, Pellerin said. Her pets are safe.

He praised residents for using fire extinguishers and garden hoses to knock the fire down and contain it.

The fire caused some water, smoke and heat damage to the rest of the apartment. The market received minimal water damage but it is closed until a health inspector clears it Wednesday, Pellerin said.

The apartment is not liveable, he said. He estimated damage at $75,000 to $100,000 but it would be higher if it is determined contents in the store were damaged, he said.

Firefighters put salvage covers on the contents of the store to protect them.

The store and building are owned Kelly and Brad Stokes of Rangeley.

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: