GREENE — A South River Road home was left uninhabitable after a chimney fire extended into the three-story building Saturday night.

Firefighters went to the home about 8:45 p.m. Saturday and found the living room ceiling on fire, Greene Fire Chief Bruce Sanford said Sunday.

The blaze was knocked down in about 30 minutes, he said, with the assistance of crews from Turner, Leeds, Monmouth and Wales.

Approximately $80,000 in damage resulted mostly from checking for extensions of the fire in the ceiling.

“The opportunity was there so we could get it quickly,” Sanford said. “Another minute and there would have been far more damage.”

The two adult occupants of the home were in the house when firefighters arrived, but no injuries were reported.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.