LIVERMORE FALLS — A family escaped unharmed Thursday morning from a fire that started in the ceiling of a second-floor bedroom at a house at 25 Searles St., fire Chief Tim “T.D.” Hardy said.

About 30 firefighters from Livermore Falls, Jay, Livermore and Wilton responded to the 5:15 a.m. fire call. A NorthStar EMS ambulance crew also responded.

The fire was caused by an electrical wiring issue, he said.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the bedroom and a portion of the attic above it in the single-family residence.

The fire spread into a couple of walls and burned parts of rafters and trusses, he said.

Firefighters opened the ceiling and walls to get at the fire.


Homeowners Chris St. Laurent and Victoria Rivers awoke, smelled the smoke and got out safely, he said.

No one was injured.

Firefighters were able to protect most of the family’s belongings with salvage covers.

“The crew made a good stop,” he said. Firefighters had the fire out within 30 minutes.

Hardy estimated the damage at $30,000 and believed it was repairable. There was no heavy fire damage, he said.

The home was insured.

The family opted not to call the American Red Cross because they had family they could stay with, Hardy said.

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.