According to WMTW, the fire is believed to have started in a pellet stove.

No other details are available at this time.

WEST PARIS — A blaze late Saturday night destroyed a single-family home, leaving 21 people homeless.

Approximately 60 firefighters from 13 area towns responded to the fire at 5 Ellingwood Road, which started just shy of midnight on Saturday.

According to West Paris fire Chief Norm St. Pierre, the fire started after an improperly installed wood pellet boiler in the home caused the building’s vinyl siding to overheat.

From there, the fire spread rapidly up the building’s walls into the attic. Within moments, the home was completely engulfed in flames.

Advertisement

“It spread like wildfire,” St. Pierre said.

There were no injuries to the human occupants; however, a pet rabbit is believed to have perished.

The location made it difficult for crews to battle the fire, as water had to be pumped from Moose Pond into tankers and hauled several miles to the site.

Firefighters had the situation under control within four hours and left the scene by 9 a.m.

The American Red Cross has found emergency lodging for the family at a motel in town.

The home was owned by Donald Hodgkin. Ages of the family members ranged from a several-month-old baby to adults in their late 40s, St. Pierre said.

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.